Hydrotherapy is the external use of water in the medical treatment of certain diseases. Most burn units in hospitals have hydrotherapy rooms. Hydrotherapy softens and removes dead tissue enabling new healthy tissue to form and promote healing.
Hydrotherapy can have other effects in addition to removing dead and damaged tissue, it can:
- prevent the fluid loss through the burned skinwhich may result in fliuid deplesion and dehydration.
- Remove debris and clean the wound surface.
- Provide a good environment for wound healing.
- Decrease the risk of infection.
- Decrease the risk of scar tissue formation.
- The wound has microbial flora, hydrotherapy help adjust them.
- Help facilitate physical therapy.
- Promote healing and the formation of healthy tissue.
- Help provide comfort for the patient.